Tuesday 22 January 2013

Short films..what I look for?

In recent times, I have seen a lot of my friends mention about, act or direct a short film. I have seen a lot of them. Most of the times, I was thoroughly disappointed and at times surprised and mesmerised by their creativity. Now, just because one has the money to purchase a camera and got few blokes around him / her to act in a nonsensical exchange of dialogues doesn't make them good directors or actors. Same holds true the other way round, those who have a blog or express their opinion freely and think they are critiquing a work of art are equally ludicrous. 

My attempt here isn't to write the art of critiquing or acting. It is only to let enthusiastic / aspirant directors / actors know what I, an ordinary human look for in a short film.

1.Theme: To have a theme according to me is utmost important. We are being flooded by small movies all round the world. According to CBFC 15 million people watch movies every day  in India in some or the other format. Now that's a market with tremendous potential. Imagine the number of films which gets released in 13,000 theaters across India. Movies of all sorts are already ushered on to audience. Now I don't want to watch the same movies in a shorter format as well. 

2.Story line: It is must to have a story. Care must be taken that characters are woven around it. Vice versa doesn't work all the time. 

3.Editing: A poorly edited film is like food cooked without salt in it. It shows laziness on part of the film maker. I want to see a neatly edited film with not some junk thrown at me.

4.Actors: You may be making the film. Please for god sake if you can't act. Don't. Period. Please choose actors who fit the story appropriately. 

5.Lighting: Ensure that your movie is visible unless you want to keep the audience guessing.

I personally have no suggestions about how to do all these things. It is completely up to the director of a film. But if you keep the above points in mind, chances are that, audience will get interested about the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers