Friday 25 January 2013

Dress well to do well...a myth!

Well how many of us throw a dirty look at a guy who wears "slippers" to office? Many. Well I was debating with my colleague the other day, "Does dressing really matter?" I do not yet have directs but he is a manager. He said ,"Yes".
I asked, "What about work? I could care less as long as the guy is wearing a dress which doesn't make others uncomfortable. Its work that we should be bothered about. Not his slippers, beard or jeans! " 
My colleague said,  "I wouldn't even consider such candidates. Work is secondary for me. He has to dress formally to office"
"What do you mean? You will ignore a candidate who is an excellent performer just because he wears floaters to office? You're in a halo effect. Wake up."
"I will. I will prefer a candidate who wears office wear over an Einstein. They are meant to work in labs, not offices."

With that we stopped the conversation. Both of us knew we will not reach to a conclusion. To my surprise most of my colleagues were supporting him.

In the field of management, which is a mixture of science and art, there is no one "right" way of doing things. But his debate got me thinking. While I fully agree that since we live in a society there are occasions where one has to dress aptly. For example, say a funeral..I don't want to see a woman attending the mourning in a bikini however sexy she is. Though am a hindu, if I were to visit a mosque, I will wear an Imama (cap). If I were conducting an interview I wouldn't mind a candidate coming in a simple trouser and shirt (presentable).

There are tons of articles, videos and papers explaining the importance of 'power dressing' and how it can build and shape your career. Possible. But is power dressing required every day just to impress your boss to do well at office? If yes, the boss should fire the management first thing (even if its late night!). Most companies boldly state they recognise 'talent' and groom it. If a guy is uncomfortable wearing shoes, why pressurise him? Instead you could focus on his positives and develop his competencies than with holding his promotion because of a certain halo effect / stereotype you have.

A few years from now millenials will join the workforce at full swing. Wonder if we could dare ask them to come dressed to office the way we want. I bet if they'll stay long. Forget about retaining them with old school of thought.

The days are long gone if one thinks a guy who dresses smartly can kick ass every one. If you are one of those who fall in such traps, high time you realise this and come out of it. Don't ignore talent because he didn't walk into the interview room 'suited up'. A true teacher / leader is one who sees the innate hidden potential but not the present qualities. Just by looking at a seed, you can't imagine, what magnificent tree is inside it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers