Tuesday 26 April 2016

Really New Products V/s Incrementally New Products

While I was at college, I came across this beautiful research paper by "David L. Alexander, John G. Lynch Jr., Qing Wang (2008) As Time Goes By: Do Cold Feet Follow Warm Intentions for Really New Versus Incrementally New Products?. Journal of Marketing Research: June 2008, Vol. 45, No. 3, pp. 307-319."

Authors claim, people will prefer an incrementally new product when the time to actually buy the product comes and develop cold feet to buy a completely new product. Somehow, it did not appeal to me. I was audacious enough to write to them, if they think it would universally apply. John was kind enough to respond, and replied that he would expect this pattern to replicate across cultures. I was hooked. Six years hence I have observed and continue to observe products around me with this hypothesis in mind.

I have to admit is I have failed. Yes. I gladly accept it. Each time a company releases a completely New Product it is pitted against a competition which is 4 times stronger!

What do you think, will this hold true in case of modern weaponry? Will the psyche effect differently?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers